Here at St Winifred's we are fortunate enough to have our very own on-site Forest School. Forest school aims to promote the holistic development of our Pupils. It is run by Miss Jackson and Miss Palmer who are qualified Forest school practitioners. Their aim is to use a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning with the learners taking appropriate supported risks.
Some of the Benefits of Forest School :
- Builds Independence
- Spatial awareness
- Social skills
- Risk management
- Problem Solving
- Self discovery
- Physical skills
Forest School Clothing:
Children are to come into school wearing their Forest School clothing, waterproofs and wellies, if necessary that day, can be brought separately in a bag labelled with your child's name.
- LONG trousers and waterproof trousers if possible. (We do have some waterproofs in school but not enough for every child. NB These are only necessary if weather is wet)
- LONG sleeved top- There are brambles and some nettles there so arm’s and legs need to be covered.
- Jacket/coat (an old one or a waterproof if possible, NOT their usual school coat as they do get dirty!)
- Walking boots/ old trainers/ wellies
- Spare socks
- Carrier bag for dirty shoes/ clothes
- Sun hat in hot weather
- Girls to have their hair tied back for safety reasons.
** PLEASE LABEL ALL ITEMS WITH YOUR CHILDS NAME **
Permission Forms will be sent out at the beginning of term by your class teacher, who will then advise the timetable for your year group.
Let's introduce our Forest School leaders...
Miss Palmer and Miss Jackson are our Forest School Leaders. Part of the St Winifred's team for many years now, they have added their love of the outdoors to their teaching skillset. Working with all year groups in our very own Forest, Miss Palmer and Miss Jackson will share their knowledge in the forest sessions.
Year 1 created these wonderful owl in Forest School, combining Arts & Culture week with woodland finds. Well done Year 1!