Equality and Diversity
St Winifred's RC Primary School is committed to challenging discrimination and promoting equality for all. All of our practice and ethos is in line with The Equality Act 2010. The Equality Act 2010 introduced a single equality duty on public bodies which is extended to include all of the following protected characteristics:
Race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
Religion or belief
Being married or in a civil partnership
Pregnancy and maternity
In carrying out our function, schools are required to have due regard to the need to:
Eliminate conduct that is prohibited by the Act
-Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
-Foster good relations across all characteristics, between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
There are some exceptions replicated in the act, for example; content of curriculum, collective worship, admissions to single sex schools and schools of a religious character.
We recognise the value of diverse environments and strive to promote a culture in which all pupils, staff and members of the school community are welcomed and supported to fulfil their potential, irrespective of their background or personal characteristics. We are committed to an ethos and culture of inclusion in our School for all, irrespective of race, religion/belief, political views, disability, SEND status, gender, gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
St Winifred's is an inclusive school where we focus on the wellbeing and progress of all our children and where all members of our school community are of equal worth. We recognise, respect and value difference and understand that diversity is a strength that enriches our community and lives. We take account of differences and strive to remove any barriers to learning and development. We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination and bullying and harassment. As a school family, we recognise the need to educate and promote equality to ensure inclusion for all pupils in the full life of our school; where appropriate making necessary reasonable adjustments to enable everyone’s participation.
We are committed to ensuring equality of education, opportunity and treatment for all pupils, staff and others particularly those who share relevant protected characteristics. We aim to ensure that those with relevant protected characteristics are not treated less favorably in any procedures or practices whilst also developing a culture of inclusion and diversity in which people feel free to disclose their needs and participate fully in school life. We will make reasonable adjustments to ensure the school environment is accessible as possible.
At our school we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by those who learn, teach and visit here. Our mission is to show Caritas- God's love in action in all that we do. This mission, alongside our curriculum work in Religious Education, Relationship and Sex Education and PSHE , helps children to learn how to be united in our diversity.
At St Winifred’s School we seek to:
Advance Equality of Opportunity
Foster Good Relations
We aim to provide a secure, caring and stimulating environment in which the school and the home are partners, and in which all children will be encouraged:
- To develop their potential as unique individuals.
- To develop an awareness of their own self-worth in order that they might become responsible and self-disciplined members of society.
- To become active and independent participants in the learning process.
- To develop self-motivation and pride in their work.
At St Winifred's we also aim to:
- Provide a secure environment in which all our children can flourish and achieve
- Provide a learning environment where all individuals see themselves reflected and feel a sense of belonging;
- Prepare children for life in a diverse society in which children are able to see their place in the local, regional, national and international community;
- Include and value the contribution of all families to our understanding of equality and diversity;
- Provide positive non-stereotyping information about different groups of people regardless of the protected characteristics under the law (disability, sex, race, sexual orientation, religion or belief, gender reassignment and pregnancy /maternity); age; marriage and civil partnership)
- Plan systematically to improve our understanding and promotion of diversity;
- Actively challenge discrimination and disadvantage;
- Make inclusion a thread which runs through all our activities.
- Provide education in line with national legislation and local authority guidelines
- Plan and deliver a broad and balanced curriculum to enable all our pupils to develop their social, intellectual and physical potential.
- Provide equal opportunities for all our children to develop and extend their social, intellectual and physical potential.
- Provide equal opportunities for all our children to develop and extend their moral and cultural capacities, whilst fostering an awareness of, and respect for, the beliefs and practices of other communities.
In addition, St Winifred’s RC Primary school is committed to:
- being proactive in promoting good relationships and equality of opportunity across all aspects of school life and the wider community and eliminate any discrimination, harassment or discrimination;
- encouraging, supporting and enabling all pupils and staff to reach their potential and make a positive contribution;
- working in partnership with families, the Local Authority (LA), Salford Diocese and the wider community to establish, promote and disseminate inclusive practice and tackle discrimination ensuring that our Equality and Diversity Policy (below) is followed.